Saturday, September 13, 2008

more in Granma's world

I became part of history today. I attended a women's community lunch to celebrate a 'centenary of women's suffrage: women vote 1908 - 2008'. I went with my friend Maree and we both signed the women's banner to be shown at the Open Day Victorian Parliament in November 2008.

I don't have a family history in Victoria, my family history is in NSW so I wasn't able to celebrate that one of my ancestors signed the Monster Petition in 1891, seeking the Right to Vote for the Women of Victoria. But in another 100 years, who knows if someone will read my name and say 'I knew her family!' Maree saw a name that could have been her great-grandmother!

My maternal grandmother always believed her mother was born at the Bendigo Goldfields but I have tried and haven't been able to validate that. Somehow though it seems appropriate that my mother and I now both live on an old goldfield, although a long way from Bendigo.

1 comment:

Maree said...

Well done, Now all you have to do is get that photo thing happening