Saturday, August 13, 2011

Last day in Thailand

I went to Phuket with a desire to bring home some Thai silk, after all it was Thailand we were visiting. It's not that easy. After searching and finding none, on our last day we went into Phuket Town and Penny, Mal and I searched the several blocks of shops in the old town for Thai silk.......to no avail. Then one of the taxidrivers told me he could take us to a department store which sold it, so off we went with him. For a very cheap price it saved us a lot of fruitless searching. It was a 'department' store like I had been used to years before when we lived in Singapore, and Thai silk was plentiful then. There wasn't a very large choice, but as it appears it isn't on any other visitor's shopping list, I was able to get some bargains. Hooray.
Here I am standing in a very pleasant park like spot next to a canal when we arrived in Phuket Town.



The other beautiful souvenir that I came home with was pearls. The boys spent a day biking around and the kids were settled in kids' club and napping 1/2 hour drive away, so I spent all day at the resort, sitting around the pool and crocheting (cotton yarn, bolero for Georgie), which wasn't an issue, but I was all by myself (didn't fancy hitting the markets by myself, there's no fun in that). I think Mal felt guilty I was by myself and during their bike trip went looking for some pearls. He found such a bargain that he couldn't resist buying a string of beautiful black freshwater pearls and a string of beautiful white ones. Everyone was so impressed with the quality and the price that Dan went back to the same place to get some for Penny. I felt very spoilt!


This is such a favourite and relaxing view of Katathani from one of the restaurants.

We lunched there on our last day, soaking up the relaxing atmosphere.

We'd love to go back for another holiday. It wouldn't ever be the same as this one, with The Wedding and so many friends, but the place is easy to get around, interesting, clean and the locals are friendly without being over-pesty. And the prices mean you don't blow your budget!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: